Biodiversity of Mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) with Emphasis on Potential Arbovirus Vectors in East Azerbaijan Province, Northwestern Iran
AbstractBackground: The abundance, diversity, distribution and ecology of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae), especially arbovirus vectors are important indices for arthropod-borne diseases control. Methods: Larvae and adult mosquitoes were collected using the standard methods from different habitats in nine localities of three counties in the East Azerbaijan Province, Northwestern Iran during June to October 2017. In addition, species richness (R), Simpson’s diversity index (D), Shannon–Wiener index (H̕) and evenness (E) as measures of diversity, were calculated. Results: Overall, 1401 mosquito specimens including 1015 adults and 386 larvae were collected in the study area. The properties of geographical larval habitats were recorded. Four genera along with 10 species were collected and identified, including Anopheles hyrcanus, An. maculipennis s.l., An. superpictus s.l., Aedes caspius, Ae. vexans, Culex pipiens, Cx. theileri, Cx. perexiguus, Culiseta longiareolata and Cs. subochrea. Among the three counties, Ahar region presented the highest species richness (R: 1.5) and diversity values (D: 0.79, H’: 1.74, E: 0.73). Conclusions: This study provides important information on the diversity, distribution and ecology of ten mosquito species in the region. This information leads to a better understanding of mosquito population dynamics in relation to vector control measures.
- Ward RA (1984) Second supplement to "A catalog of the mosquitoes of the world" (Diptera: Culicidae) Mosq Syst. 16: 227-270.
- Ward RA (1992) Th supplement to " A catalog of the mosquitoes of the world" (Diptera: Culicidae) Mosq Syst. 24: 177-230.
- Kinigh KL(1978) Supplement to " A catalog of the mosquitoes of the world" (Diptera: Culicidae) Thomas Say Found. J Ent Soc Am Supplment. 6:107.
- Gaffigan TV, Ward RA (1985) Index to the second supplement to "A catalog of the mosquitoes of the world" (Diptera: Culicidae), with corrections and additions Mosq Syst. 17: 52-63.
- Aichetou ML, Mohamed AO, Moina HE, KhadijetouML and et al (2017) Mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in Mauritania: a review of their biodiversity, distribution and medical importance Parasites & Vectors. 10: 35-48.
- Larry E, David B, Kenneth L (2008) North American encephalitic arboviruses. 26: 727–753
- Fontenille D, Traoré-Lamizana M, Zeller H, Mondo M (1995) Rift Valley fever in western Africa: isolations from Aedes mosquitoes during an interepizootic period Am J Trop Med Hyg. 52: 403–4.
- Khater EI , Sowilem MM, Sallam MF and Alahmed AM (2013) Ecology and habitat characterization of mosquitoes in Saudi Arabia Tropical Biomedicine. 30: 409–427.
- Blaustein, L. & Chase, J.M. (2007). Interactions between mosquito larvae and species that share the same trophic level. Annual Review of Entomology 52: 489-507.
- Juliano, S.A (2009) Species interactions among larval mosquitoes: context dependence across habitat gradients. Annual Review of Entomology 54: 37-56.
- Khodzhaeva F and Issi V (1989) A new microsporidian genus, Cristulospora gen. nov. (Amblyosporidae), with three new species from blood-sucking mosquitoes from Uzbekistan. Parazitologiya . 23(2): 140-145.
- Detinova TS, Smelova VA, K voprosuo (1973) medicinskom znatcheniy komarov (Diptera: Culicidae) fauni Sovyestkogo Soyuza. Med parazitol. Moskva. 42: 455-471.
- Nahla M, Belal A, Doaa FY, Ismail M (2013) Rapid assay to differentiate the two forms of Egyptian Aedes caspius (Diptera: Culicidae) using acetylcholinesterase gene. JoBAZ. 66: 12–17.
- Cranston PS, Ramsdale CD, Snow KR. and White G.B (1988) Adults, Larvae and Pupae of British Mosquitos (Culicidae) – A Key. Sci. Publ. No. 48, Ambleside, Freshwater Biological Association, Acta Hydrochim. Hydrobiol. 16 (6): 652.
- Knight KL and Stone A (1977) A catalog of the mosquitoes of the world. Thomas Say Foun. Ent Soc of Am. 6: 611p.
- Smith KGV (1973) Insects and other Arthropods of Medical Importance; London: The Trustees of the British Museum. Natural History. pp, 561.
- Mith C.E.G (1987) Factors influencing the transmission of western equine encephalomyelitis virus between it s vertebrate maintenance hosts and from them to humans. Am . J . Trop . Med . Hyg . 37 : 33s – 39.
- Horsfall WR (1955) Mosquitoes, their bionomics and relation to disease. New York: Hafner Publishing. 723-729.
- Ludlam KW, Jachowski LA, Otto GF (1970) Potential vectors of Dirofilaria immitis. J Am Vet Med Assoc 157:1354–1359.
- Service MW. Mosquitoes in: Lane RP (1993) Crosskey, R.W Medical insect and arachnids. London: Chapman and Hall. 120-240.
- Silver JB (2008) Mosquito ecology: field sampling methods. 3rd edition. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Azari-Hamidian S, Harbach RE (2009) Keys to the adult females and fourth-instar larvae of the mosquitoes of Iran (Diptera: Culicidae). Zootaxa. 1–33.
- Khoshdel-Nezamiha F, Vatandoost H , Azari-Hamidian S, Mohammadi Bavani M (2014) Fauna larval habitats of mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) of West Azerbaijan Province, Northwestern Iran. J Arthropod-Borne Dis, , 8(2): 163–173.
- Abai1 MR, Azari-Hamidian S, Hakimi M, Mashhadi-Esmai K, Vatandoost H (2007) Fauna and Checklist of Mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) of East Azerbaijan Province, Northwestern Iran. Iranian J Arthropod-Borne Dis, 1(2): 27-33.
- Vatandoost H, Abdoljabari Boonab R, Abai MR, Oshaghi MA (2005) Entomological survey in Kalibar, a resurgent malaria focus in East-Azerbaijan, Iran. Pak J Biol Sci. 8:1466-1471.
- Yaghoobi-Ershadi MR, Namazi J, Piazak N (2001) Bionomics of Anopheles sacharovi in Ardebil Province, northwestern Iran during a larval control program. Acta Trop.78: 207- 215.
- Kalandadze LP, Kaviladze OP (1947) On the blood-sucking mosquitoes of the western part of the Iran Azerbaijan. Med Parasitol Parasitic Dis. 16: 57-65 [In Russian, English abstract in Trop Dis Bull, 1948, 45: 296-297.
- Moosa-Kazemi S, Vatandoost H, Nikookar H, Fathian M (2009) Culicinae (Diptera: cCulicidae) mosquitoes in chabahar County, sistan and baluchistan Province, southeastern Iran. Iran J Arthropod Borne Dis. 3(1): 29–35.
- Moosa-Kazemi H, Zahirnia AH, Sharifi F, Behroz Davari B (2015) The Fauna and Ecology of Mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) in Western Iran. J Arthropod-Borne Dis, June. 9(1): 49–59.
- Ghavami MB, Ladonni H (2005) The fauna and frequency of different mosquito species (Diptera: Culicidae) in Zanjan Province. J Zanjan Univ Med Sci Health Serv. 13(53): 46–54.
- Banafshi O, Abai MR, Ladonni H, Bakhsh H, Karami H, Azari-Hamidian S (2013). The fauna and ecology of mosquito larvae (Diptera: Culicidae) in western Iran. Turk J Zool. 37: 298–307.
- Aldemir A, Bedir H, Demirci B, Alten B (2010) Biting activity of mosquito species (Diptera: Culicidae) in the Turkey- Armenia border area, Ararat Valley, Turkey. J Med Entomol. 47(1): 22–27.
- Azari-Hamidian S, Yaghoobi-Ershadi MR, Javadian E, Abai MR, Mobedi I, Linton YM, Harbach RE (2009) Distribution and ecology of mosquitoes in a focus of dirofilariasis in northwestern Iran, with the first finding of filarial larvae in naturally infected local mosquitoes. Med Vet Entomol. 23(2): 111–121.
- Juliano, S.A (2009) Species interactions among larval mosquitoes: context dependence across habitat gradients. Annual Review of Entomology. 54: 37-56.
- Murdock C.C, Paaijmans K.P, Cox-Foster D, Read F (2012) Rethinking vector immunology: the role of environmental temperature in shaping resistance. Nature Reviews Microbiology 10: 869-876.
- Ye-Ebiyo Y, Pollack RJ, Kiszewski A, Spielman A (2003) Enhancement of development of larval Anopheles arabiensis by proximity to flowering maize (Zea mays) in turbid water and when crowded. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68(6):748-752.
- Müller GC, Beier JC, Traore SF (2010) Field experiments of Anopheles gambiae attraction to local fruits/seedpods and flowering plants in Mali to optimize strategies for malaria vector control in Africa using attractive toxic sugar bait methods. Malaria Journal 20(9): 262.
- Kebede A, McCann JC, Kiszewski AE, Ye-Ebiyo Y (2005) New evidence of the effects of agro-ecologic change on malaria transmission. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 73(4): 676-680.
- Gu W, Müller G, Schlein Y, Novak RJ, Beier JC (2011) Natural plant sugar sources of Anopheles mosquitoes strongly impact malaria transmission potential. PLoS One 6(1): e15996.
- Alahmed AM, Kheir SM, Kuriji M.A, Sallam M.F (2011a) Breeding habitats characterization of Anopheles mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) in Najran Province, Saudi Arabia. Journal of the Egyptian Society of Parasitology. 41(2): 275-288.
- Abdullah MA, Merdan AI (1995) Distribution and ecology of the mosquito fauna in the southwestern Saudi Arabia. Journal of the Egyptian Society of Parasitology. 25(3): 815-837.
- Alahmed A, Kheir S (2005) Seasonal activity of some haematophagous insects in the Riyadh region, Saudi Arabia. Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences 4(2): 95-105.
- Alahmed A, Al Kheriji M, Kheir S (2007) Distribution of habitats of mosquito larvae (Diptera: Culicidae) in Riyadh Region, Saudi Arabia. Journal of King Saud University-Agricultural Sciences. 19: 35-55.
- Alahmed AM, Al Kuriji MA, Kheir SM, Alahmedi SA, Al Hatabbi MJ, Gashmari MA (2009) Mosquito fauna (Diptera: Culicidae) and seasonal activity in Makka Al Mukarramah Region, Saudi Arabia. Journal of the Egyptian Society of Parasitology. 39(3): 991-1013.
- Minakawa N, Seda P, Yan G (2002) Influence of host and larval habitat distribution on the abundance of african malaria vectors in western kenya. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 67(1): 32–38.
- Vatandoost H, Oshaghi MA, Abaie MR, Shahi M, Yaaghoobi F, Baghaii M (2006) Bionomics of Anopheles stephensi Liston in the malarious area of Hormozgan province, southern Iran, 2002. Acta Tropica 196–203.
- Salim Abadi Y, Vatandoost H, Sanei Dehkordi AR, Paksa A (2010) Evaluation of biological control agents for mosquitoes control in artificial breeding places. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine 276-277.
- Moosa-Kazemi SH, Vatandoost H, Nikookar H, Fathian M (2009) Culicinae (Diptera: Culicidae) Mosquitoes in Chabahar County, Sistan and Baluchistan Province, Southeastern Iran. Iranian J Arthropod-Borne Dis. 3(1): 29-35.
- Nikookar1 SH, Moosa-Kazemi SH, Oshaghi MA, Yaghoobi-Ershadi MR, Vatandoost H, (2010) Species Composition and Diversity of Mosquitoes in Neka County, Mazandaran Province, Northern Iran. Iran J Arthropod-Borne Dis. 4(2): 26–34.
|Issue||Vol 13 No 1 (2019)|
|Diversity Ecology Mosquitoes Arbovirus vectors Iran|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|